Starting in 1940 a small group of Americans volunteered to fly with the British Royal Air Force (RAF) during World War II. Three RAF Fighter Command Squadrons, the 71st, 121st, and 133rd were made up exclusively of Americans and became known as the Eagle Squadrons. These aviators volunteered at great risk because of the prohibition against engagement in the war imposed by the United States when the U.S. was still neutral. After Pearl Harbor, when the United States joined the war, some of these aviators moved to the U.S. Army Air Corps. These collections include donations from several Eagle Squadron pilots as well as the work of Eagle historian, Brig General Philip D. Caine, USAF (ret.).
IMAGE NOTE: Photograph of a crest presented to the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1989 hanging in Clark Special Collections Branch.
"The appearance of hyperlinks on this web site along with the views and opinions of authors, products or services contained therein does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Government, DoD, USAF, or USAFA. These sites are used solely for authorized activities and information that supports the organization's mission. The U.S. Air Force and the Air Force Academy do not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these link locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD Web Site."
U.S. Air Force Academy, USAFA, CO 80840, (719) 333-2590 DSN: 333-2590, Updated 8 Apr 2018
Privacy & Security Notice / External Link Disclaimer / Contact USAFA Webmaster / Accessibility Section 508/ FOIA